Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In Memoriam - K F Hartwell





Kevan F. Hartwell Dec. 21, 1920 - Oct. 3, 2001




I immediately thought of my father when I came across this quote by George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950). These words so aptly describe the way Kevan Hartwell lived, how he eagerly met life head on:


"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing on to future generations."



In Memoriam

Five years, Dad, since you’ve been gone.
And here’s a new October dawn.

Five years passed like one moment in time, the blink of an eye,
a solemn whisper, a small sad sigh.

We miss your music, miss your voice, your wisdom and your cheer.
The world has changed since you’ve been gone, for you’re no longer here.

The space is dark and empty you once so brightly filled,
but we are not forsaken; you're here beside us still.

Your words still clearly echo, your hands, with love, still guide
As we reflect upon the past with tears, with smiles, with pride.

Five years now since you’ve been gone,
And we, the living, must live on.


To you, to the "splendid torch" that you passed.



--Cathrine




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathrine,
Heidi and I just read your poem after
we finished some homework with the kids .It was very touching , thank-you

Hope you have a great night.
Kevan and Heidi
October 3, 2006 10:34 PM

Anonymous said...

Dear Catherine,
What a beautiful poem. You do your father's memory proud.
God Bless you Dear Friend.
Inga
October 8, 2006 10:01 AM

Anonymous said...

Catherine -

I had the opportunity to work for your father a number of years ago. I was thinking about him again today - he has been an ongoing inspiration for me in all aspects of my life. His strength of character and zeal for life was amazing. I have my own binder of quotes and inspirations now - all built around the first few pages he gave me. He was an amazing mentor, thanks for sharing him with us.
October 29, 2006 9:58 AM