Sunday, January 13, 2013

I thought I was past . . .

watching movies about aliens invading earth.

I believed it was a phase I had gone through, similar to watching movies about vampires, zombies, werebeings, evil puppets, evil dolls, monkeys who talked, fellows named Michael, Jason, and Freddie, men dressed in black, and my favorite–the original Star Trek.

Over the years I enjoyed watching all these types of shows–including cataclysmic end-of-the-world stories.

Then I simply lost interest in them. Maybe, I thought, you need a younger imagination to get caught up in something that was so out there. Maybe I had lost the capacity to believe in the unbelievable.

The other night we inadvertently started watching Cowboys & Aliens. Instead of watching just two minutes, then laughing and switching channels, we watched, and watched. Okay, so I was caught up in the story. A good classic Western with a twist. With producers that included the names Ron Howard and Steven Spielberg, and stars Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford putting on serious faces [not playing for camp as I originally thought], how could you go wrong?

After watching alien fighting ships blast a typical Western town and snatch up some of the townspeople, I had to see what these scumbag creatures looked like and how these people from 1873 were going to save the world [and themselves].

So, there for a little while I was able to believe in the story. It was well made and had a good ending.

Here's a trailer for Cowboys & Aliens
-


I'm sure I heard the title of this movie mentioned a year ago when it first came out. And I must've laughed at the absurdity of it.

I need to wake up that sleeping imagination.

Cat

No comments: